St Patrick’s Day is a national day in Ireland but do we know all the fact about this day? Here are some of them that will may surprise you!
1. The color of St Patrick was originally blue. The green color appears because of Ireland’s nickname “The Emerald Isle”, the green in the Irish flag and he shamrock.
2. The real St Patrick wasn’t Irish. His name was Maewyn Succat, he was born in Britain around A.D 390 to an aristocratic Christian family. He was kidnapped at the age of 16 and being a slave in Ireland.
3. The first parade took place in Boston, in 1737. It was organized by a group of Irish immigrants who wanted to celebrate their day.
4. More of Irish ancestry live in the United States than in Ireland: there are more immigrants than we can imagine.
5. The world’s shortest St Patrick’s Day Parade is held in Arkansas: its only run 98 feet, the distance between two pubs.
6. St Patrick parades began in North America in the 17th century but they didn’t spread to Ireland until the 20th century.
7. According to the legend, St Patrick drove all the snakes from Ireland. But in real, snakes haver ever existed in Ireland because of the weather which is too cold for them.
8. There are no female Leprechauns in traditional Irish folk tales, only nattily attired little guys.
8. Traditionally, on St Patrick’s Day, the Irish leader hands a crystal bowl full of shamrock to the US President.
9. The longest parade take place in New York.